How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Jun 12 00:21:06 MDT 2012

OK, my mail was way too long.

Let me recap the most important questions/points:

* What is so new in the 4.0 release step file-server-wise
  that OEMs will refrain from upgrading even longer than
  they did/do for other releases?
  Is 4.0 fileserver-wise really worse / more scary / bigger than
  earlier releases from the point of view of OEMs?

* The major changes listed to support the dangerousness of 4.0 were
  changes not authored by you (or Volker, or me..). So might it
  be that this fact rather creates an increased fear (of the unknown
  or uncontrolled) on your side?

* In short, is it really the OEMs' fears your are expressing or
  rather your own fear projected to the OEMs?

Of course I want to help the OEMs (I already do).
But I am not convinced that that opening up 3.6 for feature
backports is the right thing.

* It would be the wrong sign (to not move to 4.0).

* Opening up patch policy for the release increases the risk
  of destabilization, even if (of course) not intended.

* I would agree to allow backports of isloated new code like vfs
  modules or command line tools where risk is minimal.

* What do the OEMs themselves want from us?
  Do they want a blended OEM-feature release?

* We could offer a loose collection of backported feature patches
  not harnessed into a release, so every interested OEM can pick
  from that collection.

I would really like to discuss this further since I also want to
reach the best possible way to help OEMs with current releases
while encouraging them to move to 4.0.

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de