Is a 'flag day' OK for a move from ntvfs to s3fs by default?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 10 20:06:31 MDT 2012

At the moment, for existing installations, Samba4 uses the ntvfs file
server.  These users seem keen to continue using it for the timebeing
(rather than find the differences between the implementations the hard
way).

The new s3fs default has been put in place for new users by writing into
the smb.conf the equivalent of this:

server services = -smb +s3fs
dcerpc endpoint servers = -winreg -srvsvc

(actually more verbose, as the provision script expands it)

However, for the Samba 4.0 release we really need to make it the real
default.

What I need to know is:  Can we have a flag day, where for the next
release we make it clear that users wishing to keep ntvfs have to add:

server services = +smb -s3fs
dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc

If not, then we need to work out a way to make this automatic.  The
obvious candidate would seem to be the 'server role' change I'm also
proposing.  It's ugly, but instead of being a synonym of 'active
directory domain controller', we could make 'domain
controller' (currently written into smb.conf files) mean 'AD DC with
ntvfs' (and give a deprecation warning), possibly then overridden by any
other 'server services' and 'dcerpc endpoint services' values set.

What do folks think?