New server roles: 'netbios primary domain controller', 'active directory domain controller'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 10 19:28:18 MDT 2012

I've prepared a branch with new server role values, in a attempt to
allow an smb.conf to distinguish between our major operating modes.
This will in turn make it easier for us to stop folks running smbd when
they mean samba, and vice versa.  (This has already been a common
mistake with Samba4 alpha users so far).

https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/s3fs-improvements

I chose 'netbios primary/backup domain controller' over 'nt4 domain
controller' or 'samba3 domain controller', as it doesn't reference a
long-gone and unsupported version of Microsoft's windows or a previous
version of our Samba.  The Samba 4.0 AD mode is described as 'active
directory domain controller'.  For compatibility with previous Samba4
alphas, the term 'domain controller' is an alias of 'active directory
domain controller'.

The 'server role' parameter remains optional, but I think it is a
clearer way to describing the intent of what the administrator is trying
to build, rather than the way they are trying to build it.

I do realise this puts FreeIPA in an odd spot (it would use the 'netbios
backup domain controller'), but I'm happy for an alias to be added for
that if required, and possibly for an extra role to be added for
Novell's eDirectory.