How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun Jun 10 02:05:33 MDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 06:10 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 08:30 -0400, simo wrote:
>
>>> But more seriously, this really does feel like the situation with Samba
>>> 2.2 just before 3.0 was released.  There was great pressure from vendors
>>> to backport 'just libads' to the 'stable' Samba 2.2, and many other
>>> features that were to be the new thing with Samba 3.0 were pushed into
>>> the later 2.2 releases.
>> The situation is different though, the architectural changes to the file
>> server were dramatic back then. Right now the architectural difference
>> in the file server between master and 3.6 are not so big, which makes it
>> tempting to try to backport stuff.
>> We should probably resist the temptation.
> Our memories may differ, but I agree with your conclusion.
>
> BTW, I also strongly agree with what Kai has said on this - some very
> clear and wise words that really need no further elaboration!
>
>> I think we can make OEMs life better if we provide a --file-server-only
>> build that will have the same dependencies and footprint of the current
>> file server. (well except for python, but that's fine)
> We have that: --without-ad-dc.  I'm pretty sure there are not any extra
> deps (indeed, we were able to dispose of libuuid recently), but let me
> know of any you come across.
In fact --without-smbd --without-nmbd --without-winbindd are desirable
too (not all for the same audience).
For instance at my job we don't care about smbd, nmbd so why compile
them and install them (with make install).

I remember Chris saying that winbindd is not a need for small embedded.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team