Some Questions about smb.conf and join Samba4 to domian

Carlos Miguel Bustillo Rodriguez cbustillo at uclv.edu.cu
Sat Jun 9 14:48:47 MDT 2012

Andrew:

  Thank you for your response.

>> /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: Failed update of 20 entries
>> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update - NT_STATUS_NOT_A_DIRECTORY

>Yes, while the other errors are not real problems (but need to be
>fixed), this seems to be a real problem.  If it couldn't update 20
>entries, it means it could not register itself as a DC in DNS.  What is
>the primary DC in this case?

When I run samba_updatedns --verbose, I see that the TCP and UDP records associated with Kerberos and DC not registered. Yes Samba4 not register in DNS, but the replication is working and the DNS records from Windows DC is replicated.
My primary DC is Windows Server 2003 R2 with functional level Windows 2003 and my samba is Samba4.0.0alpha1 (tarball download from http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/samba4/)

the net error is displayed again (I ran samba_upgradedns to fix DNS partition in my Samba DC):
 ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update - NT_STATUS_NOT_A_DIRECTORY

>> Another error:
>> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: tdb(/usr/local/samba/var/locks/registry.tdb):IO Error: tdb_open: could not open file /usr/local/samba/var/locks/registry.tdb: No such file or directorytdb(/usr/local/samba/var/locks/account_policy.tdb):IO Error: tdb_open: could not open file /usr/local/samba/var/locks/account_policy.tdb: No such file or directoryUnable to open printcap file /etc/printcap for read!

>I think this is related to tdb2 and does need to be squashed.

This file  /usr/local/samba/var/locks/account_policy.tdb not exist.

>I think the only issue is the failure to do DNS updates.  You should
focus on that issue, and I'll focus on removing the distracting errors.

I agree with you, next monday (becuase I'm not in University now) I will check DNS updates carefully and be installing a new primary DC with Windows Server 2008 to see the behavior when Samba4 join to this new domain.

One more time thank you.

Regards, Carlos

La Universidad Central "Marta Abreu" de Las Villas en su 60 Aniversario. Fundada el 30 de noviembre de 1952. Vis?tenos en:  http://www.uclv.edu.cu