Some Questions about smb.conf and join Samba4 to domian

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 8 16:13:06 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-08 at 13:54 -0400, Carlos Miguel Bustillo Rodriguez
wrote:
> Hello:
>
> What is the meaning of this lines:
>
>         dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6, backupkey, dnsserver
>         server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, s3fs

I need to tidy this up, but it is the expanded form of:

server services = -smb +s3fs
dcerpc endpoint servers = -winreg -srvsvc

I need to do two things soon.  I need to change the code to run s3fs by default (users of the ntvfs server will need to specify options in the smb.conf), and I need to change the provision code to be less verbose and just issue the short +/- form into the smb.conf.

> I joined Samba4 to Windows2k3 R2 domain, when I run: "samba -i -M single -d2" some errors are showed:
>
> Started file server smbd with config /usr/local/samba/private/smbd.tmp/fileserver.conf
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: smbd version 4.0.0beta1 started.
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2012
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: Ignoring unknown parameter "dcerpc endpoint servers"
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: Ignoring unknown parameter "server services"
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: Ignoring unknown parameter "dcerpc endpoint servers"
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: Ignoring unknown parameter "server services"
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: WARNING: No path in service IPC$ - making it unavailable!
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: Failed to remove Domain IDs protection
> Could not determine hostname for target computer, cannot use kerberos
> Could not determine hostname for target computer, cannot use kerberos

As mentioned in the WHATSNEW, these are the 'rough edges'.  We need to
merge the two parameter tables from Samba3 and Samba4.  I've got one
third of the job done (the underlying C functions), I just need to
finish by merging the definitions, and then then defaults.

> The next message can be ocurr because the directory private/dns not exist. Is correct my argument?
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: Failed update of 20 entries
> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update - NT_STATUS_NOT_A_DIRECTORY

Yes, while the other errors are not real problems (but need to be
fixed), this seems to be a real problem.  If it couldn't update 20
entries, it means it could not register itself as a DC in DNS.  What is
the primary DC in this case?

> Another error:
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: tdb(/usr/local/samba/var/locks/registry.tdb):IO Error: tdb_open: could not open file /usr/local/samba/var/locks/registry.tdb: No such file or directorytdb(/usr/local/samba/var/locks/account_policy.tdb):IO Error: tdb_open: could not open file /usr/local/samba/var/locks/account_policy.tdb: No such file or directoryUnable to open printcap file /etc/printcap for read!

I think this is related to tdb2 and does need to be squashed.

> Is importat this warning?
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: WARNING: No path in service IPC$ - making it unavailable!

No, this isn't important.  I'm going to see if we can squash that one.

Most of these are the 'rough edges' I spoke about in the WHATSNEW.txt,
as we have now integrated two historically separate codebases

> I followed the step in http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC. What is wrong in the configuration???

I think the only issue is the failure to do DNS updates.  You should
focus on that issue, and I'll focus on removing the distracting errors.