Samba4 Web server?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Jun 8 08:24:45 MDT 2012

Hi Charles,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:03:35PM -0400, Charles Tryon wrote:
> Another point to clarify while looking at the Samba4 Wiki...
>
> I was looking over the Samba4 Wiki (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4),
> gathering information to do a seminar talking about Samba4, and I noticed a
> statement under the Current Status heading.  It says there that the Samba4
> team has, "implemented an embedded web server," in addition to the KDC and
> LDAP servers.  I thought this was interesting, since in all the time I've
> been on these lists, I don't ever remember hearing any discussion regarding
> a Samba "Web service".  (I've seen some talk about Web based front ends to
> Samba configuration and administration, but those appear to be mostly
> independent, third party projects.)
>
> Is this an idea that was originally proposed and then died a quiet death,
> or is there a Web server still lurking in there, and working so well that
> no one ever thinks about it???  ;-)

The web server is still there and it works; it's meant to be used as a
quick way of starting SWAT (or e.g. the ncacn_ip_http server that
Wolfgang and Julien have been working on) without requiring a lot of
set up (setting up and managing Apache) from the user side.

The web server is pretty basic and just runs a single WSGI web
application.

Cheers,

Jelmer