Remove unused finddcs_nbt (Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 8 02:46:48 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-08 at 09:35 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > commit 06c90cb6f55701effa4cbafaf189a4de8471949b
> > Author: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
> > Date:   Thu Jun 7 14:21:25 2012 +1000
> >
> >     s4-libcli: Remove unused finddcs_nbt
> >
> >     This would only do the NBT getdc lookup for a single DC (but would
> >     find multiple DCs at first stage), but more particular it of course
> >     uses Netbios rather than DNS names.
> >
> >     In any case it was also unused, as we use CLDAP for reliable DC
> >     location these days.
> >
> >     Found by callcatcher
>
> I think it's a bug that it's not used.
>
> Samba3 DCs doesn't support CLDAP.

Yes, I know that, but the source4/winbindd code has very little hope of
becoming a working member of an NT4-like domain and we have the
source3/winbind code for that.

I don't mind if you put it back, but the stack above it didn't cope well
with duplicate names and needing to keep both the netbios name and realm
in sync, which is why it became unused a while ago.

We would have to put it back in some mode where we know the realm isn't
set (perhaps now that s4 knows about security= we can look for
security=ads or security=domain).