Questions about the compilation process in Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 7 16:24:07 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 18:14 -0400, Carlos Miguel Bustillo Rodriguez
wrote:
> Helllo:
>
>  I am using Debian Squeeze for 32 bits. Is correct this packages for compiling Samba 4.0.0beta1:
>
> build-essential libattr1-dev libblkid-dev libgnutls-dev libreadline-dev python-dev autoconf python-dnspython gdb pkg-config bind9utils libpopt-dev krb5-config krb5-user libacl1-dev acl xattr
>
> My questions is because, when I run "make", appears some warnings like:
>
> ../source3/modules/vfs_aio_pthread.c: In function ‘aio_worker’:
> ../source3/modules/vfs_aio_pthread.c:103: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> ../source3/modules/vfs_aio_pthread.c:110: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> ../source3/modules/vfs_aio_pthread.c:115: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> ../source3/modules/vfs_aio_pthread.c:122: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type

These are normal.  We do our best to honour const, but some of the rules
make it difficult to handle in all circumstances.  We have a
discard_const_p macro to remove the warning, but we don't always
remember to use it.

> [3563/3724] abi_check: bin/default/lib/talloc/libtalloc.so
>
> warning: The current binary is a PIE (Position Independent Executable), which
> GDB does NOT currently support.  Most debugger features will fail if used
> in this session.

That is an interesting warning.  Clearly it is harmless, but comes from
the fact with when building in developer mode, we check our ABI using a
script written around gdb to get function prototypes.

> But the process finish correctly:
> Waf: Leaving directory `/root/Server/Samba/samba-4.0.0beta1/bin'
> 'build' finished successfully (13m18.171s)

This is your most important indication that this all worked correctly.

> Is normal this behaviour? The "make install" process finish correctly too:
> Waf: Leaving directory `/root/Server/Samba/samba-4.0.0beta1/bin'
> 'install' finished successfully (4m3.581s)
>
> I hope someone may help me o clarify me the situation.

There is no need for alarm, please enjoy your Samba installation!