moving users and groups to an ou ?

denis.bonnenfant denis.bonnenfant at diderot.org
Thu Jun 7 02:49:25 MDT 2012

Hello,
I'm working on adding support in samba-tool for moving users and groups
to OUs, just like the windows mmc utility does. This is required for
command-line GPO support.

Basically for moving user to ou=new_ou, I tried something like :
m = samdb.search(base=dc=example, expression="(samaccountname=user)")
samdb.delete(m[0].dn)
m[0].dn =  "cn=user,ou=new_ou,dc=example"
samdb.add(m[0].dn)
But I'm getting errors, as  some constraints in samdb prevents some
attributes to be written directly (primarygroup...)

I tried with an ldif message, but i get the same errors. My conclusion
is that I have to bypass the samdb module constraints,  is there a way
to do that in python ? And in this case, does the groups memberships
will be updated ?

Thanks,

Denis Bonnenfant