updating samba4alpha15 to beta1

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 6 20:33:55 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 21:02 +0200, Christian Huldt wrote:
> I have 2 left-alone samba4alpha15 servers as pdc and bdc that I plan to
> update to beta1
> (and then hopefully keep uptodate...)
>
> Is that old enough to use upgradeprovision?

I think it should be OK without it.  Do run 'dbcheck --cross-ncs'.

> I'd like to switch from bind to the internal dns as well as bind hasn't
> done any updates as all (but that is probably related to an old bind),
> but I can't seem to find the configuration parameter for this in the
> documentation.

Run samba_dnsupgrade to move to bind9_dlz for DNS, and that will get you
full secure updates etc, and import the zone.

> The alpha15 has done an excellent so far exept for at few lock-ups.
>
> What would be the most sane way to do this?
>
> I think about updating the bdc first just to see how it goes and then
> update the pdc.

That should be OK.

> regarding the replication I just got this, so there seems to be some
> kind of a problem, but not totally screwed...:

You could also offline the PDC update the BDC, seize the roles and then
rejoin the PDC.  We should interoperate between the versions, but this
gives you another option.