How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 6 17:31:55 MDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 02:08:03PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:

> I'm going to propose an in-between answer.  We allow back-porting of
> new functionality into 3.6.  But it should be under stricter review,
> to help with the QA issues.
>
> I'd prefer 3 sets of eyes in addition to the original developer, from
> 2+ companies.  IE: Volker has a proposed change, he needs someone
> outside SerNET to sign off, the other 2 can be from SerNET.
>
> In addition to more review, clearly this raises the level of effort
> needed to backport something.  Which should stop "frivolous"
> backports, and will provide a long term incentive to move forward to
> 4.0 and higher.

So I think this actually addresses the issue nicely without running
into issues of "official" policy.

If 3 different engineers from at least 2 different companies decide
it needs back-porting to 3.6.x and they've already done and QA'ed the
work, then I'd argue that consensus has been achieved here.

Note that this will be mostly fileserver changes actually being
done by people who support 3.6.x on a day to day basis for OEMs.

Such changes have already been done (the aio_pthread code as a
good example) - so this isn't actually a change from the way
we're currently operating.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned it :-). But I did want to
give people a chance to comment.

Jeremy.