How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 6 07:10:07 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 08:30 -0400, simo wrote:

> > But more seriously, this really does feel like the situation with Samba
> > 2.2 just before 3.0 was released.  There was great pressure from vendors
> > to backport 'just libads' to the 'stable' Samba 2.2, and many other
> > features that were to be the new thing with Samba 3.0 were pushed into
> > the later 2.2 releases.
>
> The situation is different though, the architectural changes to the file
> server were dramatic back then. Right now the architectural difference
> in the file server between master and 3.6 are not so big, which makes it
> tempting to try to backport stuff.
> We should probably resist the temptation.

Our memories may differ, but I agree with your conclusion.

BTW, I also strongly agree with what Kai has said on this - some very
clear and wise words that really need no further elaboration!

> I think we can make OEMs life better if we provide a --file-server-only
> build that will have the same dependencies and footprint of the current
> file server. (well except for python, but that's fine)

We have that: --without-ad-dc.  I'm pretty sure there are not any extra
deps (indeed, we were able to dispose of libuuid recently), but let me
know of any you come across.

> I think that would go to great lengths to make it easier for OEMs to
> adopt 4.0 for their file server needs.

That is partly why I worked with AB to have that included with his MIT
krb5 work.  I think Samba 4.0 will be a really, really good file server
for OEMs - not just because of SMB3, but also because of the smaller
build.