Samba 4.0 beta2 in two weeks time, roadmap to release?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 5 08:08:19 MDT 2012

Would it be too soon to attempt another beta on 19 June?

I'm hoping to capture NTDB at that point, and have most of the remaining
config.h differences removed between waf and autoconf.

In the meantime, if you get anything major done, please update WHATSNEW

>From there, I would like to start a march towards an RC of Samba 4.0.

To start discussion:

Beta 2 19 June
Beta 3  3 July
Beta 4 17 July (possible RC1 if we are confident)
RC1    31 July

If we are ready for Release Candidate by 17 July, then we make it an RC,
but if we do one more beta, we should be filling (and emptying) the
blocker bug with the reasons.

Why now?  In order to make a release 12 months after Samba 3.6 (9 Aug
2011), we need to make a release soon.  Our users are keen, both of the
file server and AD side, and we have a great product.  We should give
our users the chance to enjoy it in a stable release.

What do folks think?