getaddrinfo()-related replication problem on FreeBSD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 4 18:21:31 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 20:17 -0400, Scott Lovenberg wrote:

>         It seems a very deliberate policy decision then.  I guess we
>         may just
>         have to blacklist FreeBSD on this point then.
>

>  Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this the nuclear option?  Is there a
> more reasonable option?

I don't see a more reasonable option at this point.  We simply can't use
the getaddrinfo() call on this platform.  If we really wanted to refine
it, we could start searching for _ i the name before we looked it up,
but then we really do get down special-case codepaths.

As we have (and have to use) our a 'direct' DNS client lib for SRV
records anyway, it's isn't really a major issue, it just means names
in /etc/hosts won't be considered.