Setting up local DNS on a member DC

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:02:48 MDT 2012

I have to admit I haven't been following this thread too closely because I
was headed in a different direction with my S4 server, but my requirements
have just changed...  :-P

I am testing joining a Samba4 DC to an existing WS2003 domain controller.
 I am actually contacting the Windows DC over a VPN.  Following the
Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC page, I have (apparently) successfully
joined the domain with my local server, and I am currently trying to see if
I can join a machine to the new domain (or at least see users and groups
from the domain).

The one thing that isn't very clear from the HOWTO is what to do to set up
DNS on the new S4 server.  I tried to use the upgradedns tool, but I'm
getting a strange error:

sudo /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_upgradedns  --verbose
--realm=mydomain.local -Uadministrator
[sudo] password for ctryon:
Reading domain information
Cannot create AD based DNS for OS level < 2003

What am I missing here???

--
    Charles Tryon