Can you fix examples/VFS/Makefile.in?

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 10:00:00 MDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Richard Sharpe
> <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>>> Richard,
>>>
>>> As you seem to have done the work on the VFS examples recently, I
>>> wondered if you could look into poor state of the build farm for the
>>> autoconf build at the moment.
>>>
>>> https://build.samba.org/build.cgi/tree/samba_3_master
>>>
>>> In particular, builds such as this one:
>>> https://build.samba.org/build.cgi/build/d4b86da3cede1a0067d4f152c932a134c9b0db6e
>>> seem to fail due to problems with examples/VFS/Makefile.in
>>>
>>> In particular, I wonder if it might be more portable to go back to a
>>> simpler, dumber Makefile that developers just manually substitute on?
>>>
>>> Either way, it would be good to be running the Samba testsuite on our
>>> build farm hosts, for the autoconf build.
>>
>> OK, I have installed OpenIndiana in a VM, and have upgraded and
>> installed the development packaged I think I need.
>>
>> Now configure.developer is running ... soon I will see if I have
>> enough installed. Then I can see what is wrong with
>> examples/VFS/Makefile.in
>
> Hmmm, on my VM, I get:
>
> rsharpe at openindiana:~/samba.master/examples/VFS$ make
> Compiling skel_opaque.c
> Linking skel_opaque.o
> Compiling shadow_copy_test.c
> Linking shadow_copy_test.o
> Compiling skel_transparent.c
> Linking skel_transparent.o
> rm skel_opaque.o skel_transparent.o shadow_copy_test.o
> rsharpe at openindiana:~/samba.master/examples/VFS$
>
> So, now I need to find out what the problem is on that build farm
> machine. There is, however, a small but. The Linking message is
> slightly wrong.

OK, after talking to the owner of the OpenIndiana machine I understand
the issues more.

He has installed GNU make on that VM/Zone anyway, but the fundamental
issue is that Solaris make does not do transitive evaluation of
pattern rules.

The solution is to have a .c.so rule rather than separate .o.so and .c.o rules.

In an effort to have the resulting Makefile work in more situations I
will make that change soon and put comments in the Makefile to help
those who want to do more complex things. (I will also test that it
works on my OpenIndiana VM.)

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe