redundant DNS setup with bind_dlz possible ?

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Mon Jun 4 07:07:11 MDT 2012

Am 04.06.2012 14:26, schrieb Mike Howard:
> On 04/06/2012 11:50, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 11:01 +0100, Mike Howard wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I have to agree. IMHO, an AD environment is pretty much useless
>>> without the ability to run a fully fledged backup domain controller
>>> within it.
>> All we can offer at this stage is what we have, I'm sorry.  We hope to
>> resolve the replication issues when we get a chance.
>>
>> We similarly have no support for replicating the contents of sysvol
>> (FRS/DFR-R).  However, many of our users still find what we have
>> useful.
>
> I too find what you have useful and as I have stated before, very
> impressive. I was purely responding to the OPs question (which was
> snipped) with what is my opinion of what a beta should be. It was not
> meant to be critical of the Samba4 effort, as that effort is very much
> appreciated.
>
> I did not intend to imply by my use of the term 'useless' that Samba4 is
> useless, far from it. I was really talking about a 'high availability'
> environment scenario and how without a BDC, an AD environment has a
> single point of failure.
>
>>> The Samba team are intending to progress to an internal dns server,
>>> which makes sense. Not sure if a  working (as in fully capable) DNS
>>> environment will be included in the first beta, I doubt it from the
>>> communications on the lists. I personally can't see how it can be called
>>> 'beta' without a (fully fledged) BDC capability but as Andrew has said,
>>> resources are limited and I guess they want to make progress.
>> The Beta will not feature either a finished internal DNS server (it is
>> missing secure updates at this point), nor a fix for this issue at this
>> point.  The beta is scheduled for tomorrow.  We do hope to address the
>> replication issue, but it affects the dlz_bind9 and internal servers
>> equally (they read the same database).
>>

> I'll look forward to it.
>
> Many thanks.
> Mike.

Hello Mike,

I totally agree with you. I am very happy with the progress of samba4
and already use it in a productive environment. I have successfully
replaced our old Win2k server AD with samba4 DCs and everything is quite
stable. I very much appreciate the great efforts of the samba developers
and understand, that there are higher priority task on the to-do list.

I would like to thank all of the developers for this great project.

best regards

Andreas