redundant DNS setup with bind_dlz possible ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 4 04:50:08 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 11:01 +0100, Mike Howard wrote:

> Well, I have to agree. IMHO, an AD environment is pretty much useless
> without the ability to run a fully fledged backup domain controller
> within it.

All we can offer at this stage is what we have, I'm sorry.  We hope to
resolve the replication issues when we get a chance.

We similarly have no support for replicating the contents of sysvol
(FRS/DFR-R).  However, many of our users still find what we have
useful.

> The Samba team are intending to progress to an internal dns server,
> which makes sense. Not sure if a  working (as in fully capable) DNS
> environment will be included in the first beta, I doubt it from the
> communications on the lists. I personally can't see how it can be called
> 'beta' without a (fully fledged) BDC capability but as Andrew has said,
> resources are limited and I guess they want to make progress.

The Beta will not feature either a finished internal DNS server (it is
missing secure updates at this point), nor a fix for this issue at this
point.  The beta is scheduled for tomorrow.  We do hope to address the
replication issue, but it affects the dlz_bind9 and internal servers
equally (they read the same database).