Samba4 BDC with Samba4 PDC

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Sun Jun 3 10:01:04 MDT 2012

On 03/06/2012 11:15, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 09:59 +0100, Mike Howard wrote:
>> I have had samba4 (Version 4.0.0alpha21-GIT-073666e) up and running as
>> the PDC on my network, currently with BIND9_DLZ and Bind9.9, working
>> well for a little while.
>>
>> For redundancy, I'd like to add a Samba 4 BDC, also BIND9_DLZ with
>> Bind9.9. To this end I grabbed the latest from git (Version
>> 4.0.0alpha22-GIT-29a51a2) and installed it, however there is not a lot
>> (any?) info out there on how things should be done _properly_ from a
>> configuration point of view, i.e. on the BDC is there a smb.conf or not,
>> how is the krb5.conf configured, how is /etc/resolv.conf configured?
>>
>> Anyway, I can join the the BDC to the domain with;
>> Joined domain MYDOMAIN (SID S-1-5-21-2874647136-1364824720-2698236840)
>> as a DC
>>
>> The process of joining the BDC to the domain seems to shutdown bind on
>> the PDC and neither '/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf' nor
>> '/usr/local/samba/private/dns/' are created on the BDC.
>>
>> I can (and did) add the followong to my 'named.conf.local'.
>>
>> dlz "AD DNS Zone" {
>>       # For BIND 9.9.0
>>           database "dlopen /usr/local/samba/lib/bind9/dlz_bind9_9.so";
>> };
>>
>> but bind will not restart as '/usr/local/samba/private/dns/' and it's
>> contents are missing.
>>
>> Can anybody give me some pointers or point me at any info that will help
>> with the correct configuration?
> See the other posts on this list about ensuring the DNS partitions are
> replicated, then run samba_upgradedns to populate the DNS directory for
> the second DC.
>
> There is a fair bit of info in the list archives on this.  Hopefully we
> can make this more automatic in the future.
>
> Andrew Bartlett
Hi,

Sorry, I obviously need to improve my search techniques. Thanks for the
pointers.

Sadly, none of them worked but not to worry, it is after all only alpha
software.

What is the the time scale for samba4 actually being usable in a 'real'
environment, or more specifically, being able to provide what windows
server currently provides from an AD/DNS point of view? Whilst I've been
running samba4 for a while (and quite impressive it is too), obviously
high availability is really important and being able to 'just' install
and go ala MS (despite all it's drawbacks) is pretty key. A BDC is a key
component.

Mike Howard.

--
Any question is easy if you know the answer!