Samba 4 insufficientAccessRights when modifying Configuration

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at etinternational.com
Tue Jul 31 08:18:49 MDT 2012

Unfortunately I can run it as Administrator but it appears that
programatically it still tries to install as the machine account.  I did
some research and it turns out that the vendor intends you to run it on
the AD server itself (which won't be possible for Samba).

However while trying to work around this, I found a difference between
Samba and a Windows 2008 AD server.  With the Win2k8 AD server, I'm able
to add the machine account, with inherited write permissions to
CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration and then the installer succeeds.
When I try to do the same with Samba, it doesn't give me any warnings,
but it silently refuses to add the permissions to the descendants of
DisplaySpecifiers.  Is this known / intended behavior?

Thanks,
Brian