[TEST][PATCH] Replication errors with Samba4

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue Jul 31 02:37:15 MDT 2012

Am 31.07.2012 08:37, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 16:09 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 08:04 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>>> In my repl-devel branch I have a series of patches to better test our
>>>>> replication and conflict resolution handling.
>>>>> https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/repl-devel
>>>>> Currently we have a number of issues in this area.  The test I added
>>>>> there shows that we do not consistently handle the conflict resolution.
>>>>> This is particularly the case with conflicting renamed. 
>>>>> The attempts at modification of the replication code I've included try
>>>>> to handle some of this, but it still doesn't work.  
>>>>> However, this code remains dizzyingly complex, and I wondered if,
>>>>> particularly as I now have a reasonable testsuite, you might be able toa
>>>>> assist me in making this more reliable?
>>>> I've found some of the issues here, but I still can't make the conflict
>>>> handling reliable.  I've put in the test simply asserting that one or
>>>> other record becomes a conflict, until we can get back to this.  It
>>>> would be very helpful to me if you could look at this area, as this
>>>> should be deterministic :-(.
>>>> Still, at least is no longer stops or crashes. 
>>> Does it randomly fail make test (if so what's the test name?)
>>> or do you see the strange behavior in normal operation?
>> What happens is that the additional tests I added in
>> samba4.drs.replica_sync.python fail randomly.  
>> To get the rest of the patch into mater (and to ensure we have any
>> coverage of this codepath at all), I've modified the tests to accept
>> that one DN or the other is made into a conflict, but not to assert on
>> which one in particular is the conflict.   This is in autobuild now. 
>> On that branch, It is clear that it's random because if you run it
>> twice, the line number (corresponding to unit tests) of the assertions
>> changes. 
>> Once these are in master, I'll update that branch with just the stricter
>> test. 
> I've updated the branch.  To reproduce, just run:
> make test TESTS=samba4.drs.replica_sync.python 

I guess it's related to the fact that the conflict resolution also depends
on the invocationId. The timestamps are in 1 sec intervals, in the protocol!
I think you should find out the invocationId and define the dc with the
invocationId as dc1 and the other as dc2.


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 262 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/attachments/20120731/03c5fd57/attachment.pgp>

More information about the samba-technical mailing list