Accessing Windows registry from samba wmic utility

Andrey Kondakov andreykondakov at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 05:21:37 MDT 2012

I guess I've heard the story in form which i similar to what you wrote.
I had extensive experience with samba smbclient and net utilities for
Windows monitoring
but the things got changed and IT dep started to enforce restrictive
policies to access hosts remotely including registry.
I discovered wmic fork and have to say this is quite good to start with and
move my inspection agent to WMI-bound since
Samba WMI client is almost ready for production use. It runs WQL queries
and is capable to start process on remote host.
The one thing I needed to fix was the registry access and finally the
solution is quite similar to process running.
The only thing that you need is just to verify method arguments of
StdRegProv and you are done.
Now I have everything implemented in single monitoring client and it makes
the things easier.

Anyway, a lot of thanks for people who were writing wmic.

Andrey