Accessing Windows registry from samba wmic utility

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 27 02:16:38 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 12:37 +0300, Andrey Kondakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That was my original intention but it turned out that several network
> segments (read domains) have pretty restrictive
> settings in terms of network access availability. For example, remote
> registry service is stopped or port 445 is firewalled.
> In fact, wmic is the only mean to access WMI repository and read both
> conventional Win32_ classes and registry.

The reason Jelmer asked about this is that wmic is a fork of a very old
development version of Samba 4.0, and for a number of reasons it just
isn't practical to merge it back in (the supporting code was removed as
a development dead-end at the time when wnic was developed without
communication with the Samba team).