Deprecate the 'socket address' parameter and remove special handling?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 27 02:12:13 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 10:47 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 12:06 +1000, Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
> > I'm all for increasing simplicity, but isn't the purpose of "socket
> > address=x.y.z.t" to enable samba to respond/listen to a specific address,
> > particularly where there are many aliases on an interface. And the
> > "interface=" statement to specify which of the interfaces, or ip/masks that
> > a particular samba instance will service?
> >
> > Currently we run authentication services (heimdal/openldap) in one virtual
> > machine(vm), and samba3 in another. I plan to insert samba4 onto the
> > authentication server (no fileservices) and retain the samba3 server, and
> > both running on the same physical machine. I'm concerned, with the removal
> > of "socket address", will this approach be inhibited?
>
> Dewayne,
> as pointed out in the previous emails, you can put ip address in the
> 'interfaces' parameter, and then use 'bind interfaces only = yes' to
> limit samba to talk on those addresses only.
>
> socket address is simply redundant and can be implemented by the above
> options which is why we want to remove it.

The attached 4 patches work on this.  The first two I'm autobuilding
now, which just remove the use of 'socket address' as a fallback to our
recommended 'bind interfaces only = ' and 'interfaces = ' and renames
'socket address' to a more specific name.

The second two patches try to eliminate this altogether (which will
eliminate the nmbd bind on 0.0.0.0 when bind interfaces only is set),
but these need more work.