Any idea why these extra parameters cause 'make test' to fail?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 26 16:37:46 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 18:22 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 09:54:54PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > The failure I see, and only after a full autoconf (samba3) make test is:
>
> > [697/697 in 34m10s] samba3.rpc.epmapper over ncalrpc(s3dc:local)
> > Unknown parameter encountered: "debug pid"
> > Ignoring unknown parameter "debug pid"
> > Unknown parameter encountered: "max log size"
> > Ignoring unknown parameter "max log size"
> > Unknown parameter encountered: "kernel change notify"
> > Ignoring unknown parameter "kernel change notify"
> > Unknown parameter encountered: "syslog"
> > Ignoring unknown parameter "syslog"
> > Unknown enumerated value 'vlp' for 'printing'
> > Using seed 1343296920
> > Failed to connect host /usr/local/samba/var/run/ncalrpc/EPMAPPER on port
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The ncalrpc directory seems wrong there for some reason.

Indeed.  I suspect the previous line casues the smb.conf load to fail.
A difference we need to resolve is that the lib/param loader isn't fault
tolerant (but callers - smbtorture -  clearly are not checking errors).

> > Git bisect showed it to be the attached patch, but it only adds
> > parameters (that are then not used anywhere), so I'm quite confused as
> > to how it breaks anything.
>
> > The confusing bit is, "vlp" is a valid enum value.  This is a developer
> > build, and gcc -E shows this in lib/param/loadparm.o which is from the
> > included param_table.c:
>
> Have you tried 'git clean -f -x -d' and a full rebuild? If this had
> happened before waf I would suspect that a file wasn't recompiled
> after a structure was changed.

Yes, I put a git clean -f -x -f into the bisect script.

But of course I was checking the wrong build system - the issue is in
binaries produced by waf recursively from the autoconf build, which
isn't a developer build since I did this:

commit f446506608ba93303b9c671bdaacd692f72bad28
Author: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
Date:   Wed Apr 11 07:59:01 2012 +1000

    remove --enable-developer from recursive waf build in autoconf build

    wanting to run make test does not make you a developer in need of
ABI checking.

    Andrew Bartlett

I'll change that to --abi-check-disable, and that will probably fix
this.