Deprecate the 'socket address' parameter and remove special handling?

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Tue Jul 24 20:06:29 MDT 2012

I'm all for increasing simplicity, but isn't the purpose of "socket
address=x.y.z.t" to enable samba to respond/listen to a specific address,
particularly where there are many aliases on an interface. And the
"interface=" statement to specify which of the interfaces, or ip/masks that
a particular samba instance will service?

Currently we run authentication services (heimdal/openldap) in one virtual
machine(vm), and samba3 in another. I plan to insert samba4 onto the
authentication server (no fileservices) and retain the samba3 server, and
both running on the same physical machine. I'm concerned, with the removal
of "socket address", will this approach be inhibited?

Regards, Dewayne.