After upgrading from alpha18 to beta2 ports 139 and 445 are no longer bound

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 17 07:08:19 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 14:07 +0200, Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > <denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr>  wrote:
> >> if it is the same package as on debian wheezy
> >> (samba4_4.0.0~beta2+dfsg1-1_i386.deb), then the package is probably missing
> >> the smbd/nmbd binaries. On a fresh install, "dpkg -L samba4 | grep smbd"
> >> returns nothing.
> >>
> >> Last week I had to "make install" from the deb source package to get the
> >> corresponding binaries, and then everything was fine. It looks like a
> >> packaging problem.
> >

> > I am running alpha18 which also lacks smbd but does work. It's the
> > "samba" binary that listens on ports 139 and 445 in alpha18 but fails
> > to do so in beta2.
>
> sorry for the late reply. I guess that between the alpha18 and beta 2
> the samba3 smbd file server has been integrated into the samba4 release
> and replaced the samba4 smbd implementation.
>
> Before the switch samba4 was providing itself the smbd file serving
> capacity, which may explain why you didn't need the smbd binary before.
> Now samba3 smbd should be started as a task from samba4.

I spoke with Jelmer, who said he has changed the default in the debian
packaging back to ntvfs.  This will (in some senses) resolve this for
now.

The issue is that at the moment, the samba4 package doesn't replace the
existing samba 3.6 package.  The problem with this approach, aside from
the issues you see here, is that tools like pdbedit and smbpasswd (from
the system Samba 3.6) won't know how to load and use the samba 4.0
passdb module, and things like nss_winbindd will (I presume) be compiled
against the wrong winbindd pipe format.

I'll continue to work with Jelmer to see if we can resolve this so we
have a better outcome for Debian package users, but in the meantime it
would probably be best to work from our tarballs.