Need urgent help with samba4 DC re-join

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 17 00:09:28 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 11:17 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 08:07 +0200, Andreas Oster wrote:

> > > Not yet, sorry.  Please keep reminding me.  If someone else wants to
> > > take on the task, the dbcheck.py changes needed are:
> > >  - for every haveMasterNCs in an ntDsa object
> > >  - confirm that the instanceType attribute on the pointed-at schema have
> > > the writable flag set.  If not, set it.
> > >
> > > While doing that, an additional task will be to fill out the
> > > msDS-HasInstantiatedNCs attributes so the 'binary' part of the BINARY+DN
> > > matches the (perhaps newly revised) instanceType.
> > >
> > > eg
> > > msDS-HasInstantiatedNCs: B:8:0000000D:${CONFIGDN}
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Andrew Bartlett
> > >
> > Hello Andrew,
> >
> > thank you for the update.
>
> Attached is a patch for the first part of this.  KEEP GOOD BACKUPS (and
> run this on a backup).
>
> I'll get to the second part of this soon, but if you can let me know if
> this lets you fix things, it would be most helpful.

I've pushed corrected patches to:

https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/repl-devel

In particular, I think I've found how we get your DB corrupted in the
first place, and one of the patches there should prevent this happening
again in the future.

I'll keep updating that branch as I keep testing, but please let me know
how it works.

Unless things are worse than we expect, dbcheck (run as dbcheck -H
sam.ldb --cross-ncs) should only need to correct the instanceType on
objects in your DNS partitions.  When you are comfortable with the
proposed changes, use --fix.

Thanks,