Samba4: idmap replication between 2 DC's

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jul 13 04:07:00 MDT 2012

On 13/07/12 09:49, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:03 +0200, steve wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew, hi everyone
>
>> Conclusion 2:
>>    idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>> does not work when gidNumber is in AD
>>
>> Summary,
>> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>> uidNumber in AD works
>> gidNumber in AD does not work
>>
>> Can you help me sort the gidNumber?
>
> This would be significantly less frustrating for all of us if you would
> attempt debugging the source yourself.
>
> I'm sure this isn't a difficult bug to solve, so why not give it a go.
>
> Some starting hints:
>   - git grep gidNumber

Hi Andrew
OK. I take your point. I really should have gone with K&R.

I've found the file responsible for the uidNumber and gidNumber at:
source4/winbind/idmap.c

Try as I may as I cannot see why uidNumber works and gidNumber doesn't.

Can any C coder help me by have a look at it before I go to:

>   - increase debug level to cover any existing, relelvent debug
> statements
>   - Add debug statements to cover the full flow control of any apparently
> relevant functions:
>     DEBUG(0, ("debug message"));
>   - start samba under gdb using :
>     gdb --args samba -i -M single
>   - use samba_start_debugger() to launch gdb under particular conditions
>
> I know you have said this is beyond you, but I do believe this is a
> skill you can learn.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Cheers,
Steve