Samba4 patch for manipulating Unix attributes via ADUC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 12 03:08:50 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 10:26 +0200, Gémes Géza wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The patch does no more than the MS approach: transfers the
> >> responsibility to the administrator. It does not enforce any policy
> >> except a suggestion based on the current MAXUID/MAXGID.
> > So it becomes a default in a GUI somewhere, or?  What is it used for?
> If you try to allocate posix attributes (via ADUC) the default uid
> offered is the value set for MAXUID, the same holds true for gids.

Thanks.

> >> For the s3 upgrade code I think MAXUID/MAXGID is going to be set to the
> >> max of current uids/gids + 1.
> >>
> >> Do you suggest to change the patch to provision the fake NIS if
> >> use_rfc2307 was set? I didn't want to be that invasive, but if you as
> >> the author of that option says so I'm happy to reduce the number of
> >> options.
> > I think less configuration combinations is a better thing.
> Will modify it accordingly
> >
> >> Currently the nisdomain is nothing but domainname.lower()
> > I noticed, which is why I suggested to push it further down the stack.
> Do you suggest to replace nisdomain occurrences altogether by
> domainname.lower() ?

Just do it as the argument to provision_fake_ypserver()

> >> TrustPossixOffset would certainly reduce the crossdomain uid/gid
> >> allocation problems.
> > As always, this needs someone to implement it :-)
> >
> > (Including the PDC master handling the allocation of offsets)
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >
> Geza Gemes

Some further comments:

Please try to minimise the ldif, while still getting the right entries.

A number of attributes don't need to be specified, as we will
automatically add them.  name is one example, but also check things like
showInAdvancedViewOnly, admin*,  In particular, things like name don't
need to be set.  Even cn doesn't need to be set, if it is already in the
DN.

Use samba-tool ldapcmp to compare directory trees to validate the
output.

Thanks!