Samba4: idmap replication between 2 DC's

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Jul 12 01:10:22 MDT 2012

On 12/07/12 08:02, Gémes Géza wrote:

>>> Yes, but my test domain was upgraded from samba3 in which case the
>>> provision automatically puts idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes in smb.conf
>>>
>>> I don't know s3fs where does sid<->xid operations, but with wbinfo I've
>>> checked and the information is retrieved from AD.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Geza
>> Hi Geza.
>>
>> That's frustrating. We are not using winbindd (but are using winbind
>> if you see what I mean). Is there anything else you have in smb.conf
>> that would affect this? Our nsswitch settings are:
>> passwd: files ldap
>> group: files ldap
>> and our smb.conf is:
>> [global]
>>     server role = domain controller
>>     workgroup = MARINA
>>     realm = hh3.site
>>     netbios name = HH1
>>     passdb backend = samba4
>>     idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>>
>>  On the PDC idmap mappings are the same as those in the AD (we have a
>> script that does this when we add e.g. a new group). Even though it
>> works and users and groups are correctly mapped from on eithr DC, we
>> would like the mappings to come from AD rather than idmap. mainly for
>> the sake of maintenance and readability.
>>
>> Is there any way we can do this?
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Now I'm completely confused: In theory idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes would
> free you from having to mess with the idmap.ldb. Just have the correct
> uids/gids in the directory, and they should be picked by samba (maybe
> you are using an older version? support for this is quite recent).
>
> Regards
>
> Geza

Hi Geza
So am I. Andrew's comment about
  idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
not applying to s3fs with AD (see above) makes it even more confusing.

I'm not using an older version, this is a git from a few days ago.

Geza, from your coders pov, does the code suggest that it _does_ work
with s3fs and AD?

All our rfc2307 attributes and classes are stored in AD. nss-ldapd pulls
them out fine for Linux NFS clients. However, despite having
idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes in smb.conf, wbinfo -i user still shows
what's in idmap.

On our PDC we have scripts which change the gidNumber for newly created
groups. The script changes both the idmap xidNumber and AD gidNumber. On
a replicated second DC also with idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes, the
gidNumber is _not_ coming from AD, only from idmap.

Is there any way we can confir what should happen?
Cheers,
Steve