Samba4: idmap replication between 2 DC's

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Jul 11 13:44:00 MDT 2012

On 11/07/12 21:23, Gémes Géza wrote:
>> Hi
>> Is it possible to get idmap.ldb replicated across 2 DC's as well as
>> the directory partitions?
>>
>> I make changes to id mappings for our Linux users. This is not a
>> problem with NFS, but becomes an issue when Linux users are working on
>> cifs mounted shares. The uidNumber issued by DC2 is not the same as
>> the uidNumber issued by DC1.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
> Hi Steve,
>
> If you put
> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
> in your smb.conf then setting the uids gids in AD will guarantee that
> they are the same across your samba4/s3fs servers, because then they
> will get that from AD instead of their private idmap (with a fail-back
> to idmap, if the entry has no uid/gid set).
>
> Regards
>
> Geza
Hi Geza
I don't think
  idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
works in Samba4 with s3fs

It doesn't appear as an option in
  testparm -v either

It doesn't have any effect here even though we store all our rfc2307
information in the directory.

Quote from the other thread:
's3fs and the Samba4 DC use a different winbindd implementation to the
one that Christof is patching.  For that reason, these patches simply
won't have any benefit for you on the Samba4 DC.
Cheers
Andrew Bartlett'

Geza, does it work for you?