Samba4: wide links and unix extensions

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 06:16:42 MDT 2012

Hi

On 7 July 2012 13:27, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 07:48:49PM +0200, steve wrote:

Steve, your real problem is as follows, right?

You want to have your actual home directories in different locations
(e.g. on different disks) and not all in one directory.

i.e. instead of:

/home/user1
/home/user2
/home/user3

you want:

/home/staff/user1
/home/students/year1/1a/user2
/home/students/year2/2a/user3

etc.

but with winbind (if I understand correctly) you can only have
/home/${username}, even though AD can store a different path to the
home directory for each user.

Jelmer, someone on the samba list suggested the symlink approach.

I don't know the answers.  Just trying to clarify a bit.  I hope I

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>