[ANNOUNCE] Samba 4.0 beta3

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 04:07:45 MDT 2012

On 03/07/2012 08:12, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>>> Samba 4.0 also ships with the 'NTVFS' file server.  This file server
>>> is what was used in all previous alpha releases of Samba 4.0, and is
>>> tuned to match the requirements of an AD domain controller. We
>>> continue to support this, not only to provide continuity to
>>> installations that have deployed it as part of an AD DC, but also as a
>>> running example of the NT-FSA architecture we expect to move smbd to in
>>> the longer term.
>>>

>> So if one is not intending to act as a files erver, purely an
>> authenticating dc (please excuse terminology), would you advise
>> running samba4 with the NTVFS file server?
> Well if you don't use the Fileserver thing of the AD then why bother
> about which fileserver is used ?
>
> Matthieu.

I guess it was the comments in the release statement that made me ask
the question, specifically these two comments;

"This file server is what was used in all previous alpha releases of
Samba 4.0, and is tuned to match the requirements of an AD domain
controller."

"As mentioned above, this change to the default file server may cause
instability, as we learn about the real-world interactions between these
two key components.

The word 'tuned' in the first one and 'instability' in the second
attracting my attention. I suppose it's likely that even if data isn't
served by the dc, profiles may well be (in my scenario).

Cheers,
Mike.
--
Any question is easy if you know the answer!