Changing back to per-thread credentials on Linux (fixing native AIO).

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jul 2 09:42:01 MDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 02:36:34PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> splice() arguments to the kernel on i386...). So by
> coincidence around that time I listened to a talk by Ulrich.
> I asked him about what I was supposed to do. His response
> was that clone() was not supported, as it would screw up
> internal assumptions of the pthread piece of glibc. Thus
> they have made it harder to even try using syscall(). That's
> at least what I remember from his response.

Sure, but this was Ulrich :-). If it possibly made
his life more difficult or made him have to consider
others in any way, he just always said "NO" :-). I
worked with him at Cygnus, I remember :-).

> Long story short: Anything beyond standard, documented
> behaviour is just not supported or actively blocked by
> glibc. Without official blessing by glibc I see the
> syscall() workaround just in the same place.

I'll finish the code and talk to the glibc maintainers
at the same time. It's too much of a win for us to
ignore this.

Jeremy.