getpass regressions on Solaris/Illumos - 3.6 and master.

Ira Cooper samba at ira.wakeful.net
Tue Jan 31 13:00:01 MST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:21:39PM -0500, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > The regression is that people keep forgetting the header file that needs
> to be
> > included to make getpass work on Solaris and other non-linux OSes.
> >
> > add_getpass.patch is almost right.  I missed 2 lines.  I've added them
> to the
> > attached patch.  (I believe it is me, being pedantic, but...)
> >
> > As far as making it require getpassphrase: I don't think getpassphrase
> is on
> > Linux, is it?  And I'm not sure about the other platforms that may exist
> with
> > ok getpass but not a getpassphrase.
>
> Well it's really ensuring we have a >8 character working function,
> so calling it something different (smb_get_password() ?) would do
> just as well. But I suppose we'd still be left with the "does the
> underlying function do the right thing" problem.
>
> I guess it's just best to push what you have here.

Actually this code is intended to do what we do today IF we correctly
included the header file. :)

So if those cases exist, we fix autoconf/waf and that fixes it.  That's why
the getpass stuff is really you include all of it, or break it.  Otherwise
you get into the exact situation you mention!

-Ira