libnetapi and popt

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Mon Jan 30 03:12:47 MST 2012

On Saturday 28 January 2012 08:03:47 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > libnetapi (a library) shouldn't link against popt. Why do you think this
> > is
> > needed?
>
> source3/lib/netapi/cm.c uses popt_common.h
>
> The deps are used for both headers and link lines, which is why they are
> occasionally a little unusual.

It includes popt_common.h to get access to 'struct auth_info' and the auth_*
functions. These functions are in util_cmdline. So util_cmdline is what we
want to link against to and not popt.

This should be fixed the right way and not simply adding libraries that it
just compiles. That's the way it was done and that's why we ended up with
circular dependencies and too many unneeded dependencies.

Here is how it should be fixed:

http://git.samba.org/?p=asn/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/s3-waf

Thanks for finding this Amitay!

Currently I'm trying to package samba4 for Fedora and RHEL. I need to be able
to install samba4-libs without conflicting with other packages and need to be
able to have the packages in a way they replace samba3 packages. At the moment
this is not possible cause it is a really big mess. We need to fix this big
mess and not make it worse.

> Now, of course the calls it makes here could be replaced with something
> more suitable, perhaps cli_credentials if we make more use of it, but
> for now that's the reason.

Adding back uneeded or wrong dependencies I just cleaned up doesn't help me
with getting samba4 packaged.

I thought you're the one who wants to get Samba4 released... :)

> Andrew Bartlett

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org