drs replication, what is covered?

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Jan 27 16:45:45 MST 2012

Hi Gemes,
On 27/01/2012 12:07, Gémes Géza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does the drs replication cover application partitions?
Application partition are just partitions nothing fancy has to be done
to replicate them, what is required is that a Given DC has the will to
replicate them ...
> If not
> -is it a missing feature or
> -it is not designed to do it, and the applications using them should
> implement the replication themselves?
>
> If this is just a mater of some configuration or patch were should that
> be? (I already looked at various files in source4/rpc_server/drsuapi but
> it is still not clear were the "rootdn" would be set)
So we have at least 2 bugs:

* We load the partitions of a DC only at startup (function
dreplsrv_load_partitions) so if while running the DC has its list of NC
changes (ie. increased to add more partitions).
* we lack a way to add a NC to given DC, in theory this could be done in
samba-tool

     It should do (if not RODC):
             update HasMasterDC and msDs-HasMasterDC (like in
join_add_ntdsdsa)

             repl.replicate(ctx.config_dn, source_dsa_invocation_id,
                     destination_dsa_guid, rodc=ctx.RODC,
                     replica_flags=ctx.replica_flags)

In theory point 2 shouldn't be too complicated to fix, and point 1 well
we can live with the fact that DC has to be restarted when adding
partitions.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou