Domain Function Level?

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 14:11:59 MST 2012

When I provision a Samba4 domain, my understanding is that the default
Domain Function Level is WS 2003.  What are the implications, in terms of
features supported by Samba, of pushing this up to a higher level?  Does
Samba4 support the various different features across these functional
levels, or does it just tweak the API to mimic the various Microsoft
changes from one version of their server software to another?

Is it a good idea to use the highest level you can on your network
(depending on where your client machines are), or is it just safer to stick
with the default unless you REALLY need the higher level?

(I'm just starting to get into the grubby complexities of dealing with
AD.... and I wonder why I go home every night with an aching head... :-P)

--
    Charles Tryon