idmap.ldb

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 27 01:42:50 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 21:56 +0100, Ali Bendriss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it ok to share idmap.ldb between 2 samba4 servers ?
> I've done a try using a shared gfs2 partition (on a shared storage),
> it seems to work but is it safe ?
>
> Or is there a better to keep idmap.ldb in sync between the servers ?

Currently there is no good way to keep idmap.ldb in sync between
servers.  We hope to put this data back in the directory, but there are
issues with how to handle the distributed ID allocation required on new
users.

You should not share ldb files between hosts.  On very good filesystems,
it might just be slow, but I would not trust my data to it.

We don't try and build Samba4 on top of ctdb as we have the native AD
replication technologies we already need to support.