libccan.so.0: version not found

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 26 19:50:39 MST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 19:23 -0700, Jason Carlson wrote:
> I'm receiving the following error when running samba 4 for the first time:
>
> # samba
> samba: /usr/lib/ldb/libccan.so.0: version `SAMBA_4.0.0ALPHA18_GIT_17A77EA'
> not found (required by /usr/lib/libsmbconf.so.0)
>
> I'm wondering if anyone is out there. I've made several post for different
> things and so far no response from anyone. Please help! Thank you in
> advance.

My guess is that for some reason when ldb was installed on your system,
the libccacn.so.0 on which it depends got installed in the public path.
Then Samba4 sees it when starting up (looking for ldb), and links that
one instead of the Samba internal one that we installed in our private
path.  This then fails (which is better than what we did in the past,
which is to silently link against the wrong one), because the symbol
versions do not match.

If you remove your system copy of ldb, and then rebuild Samba, it should
work again.