S3/S4 migration tool -- server hostname?

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 15:24:09 MST 2012

Hi Charles,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Charles Tryon <charles.tryon at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I'm an idiot....
>
> Well, maybe not an idiot, but I just discovered a key assumption I have been
> making which is NOT true.
>
> My assumption was, when you run the samba-tool domain samba3upgrade, IT
> OVERWRITES THE GENERATED CONFIG FILE IN /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
>
> This is not the case.  Originally, if the script found an existing smb.conf
> file, it would complain and abort.  Now, it is reading in the config file
> and apparently using some of the parameters.  I'm not exactly sure what
> happens from that point on, but apparently that's what was causing the old
> host name to show up.
>
> I removed that smb.conf file and re-ran my migration, and from my quick
> testing, at least the DNS entries look like they are correct.  I'm still
> testing with my old client XP box to see if it can still find the
> "converted" DC when I log in.
>
> (One more step forward... I think.)

You have stumbled upon one of the pitfalls. ;)

This has to do with the way configuration file is handled in the
codebase. Just for that
there is an option in samba3upgrade to dump the output in a separate
directory, so
there is no influence of existing config etc.

The option is --targetdir. This is useful to test s3 to s4 migration
and make sure that
all the databases are created correctly including the config file.

Amitay.