FreeNAS 8.0.x and Samba4?

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 15:11:45 MST 2012

Is anyone out there using FreeNAS 8.0 in conjunction with a Samba4 domain?

I've had a lot of success with using FreeNAS as the front end for my file
sharing services, joined to a Samba4 DC.

HOWEVER, I have recently run into a problem with setting up CIFS services
when the FreeNAS server is joined to the AD domain.  This was working great
up until fairly recently (maybe a month ago), however any newly provisioned
domain now causes a failure.  If the NAS is joined to the domain and
running AD, any time you open up a Windows Share or CIFS setup dialog, it
pops up an error: "Sorry, an error ocurred."  (yeah, I know.  REALLY
helpful. :P)  I was on a long chat session with a developer from FreeNAS
trying to debug this.  I am KICKING myself because I lost the tail end of
the chat session where he told me what error he was seeing, but apparently
there is some information coming back about the domain controller itself
where there is a SID coming back in a wrong data field.

I am still trying to dig through my saved logs for more specifics on the
error, but I was wondering if anyone else had run into the same issue.

--
    Charles Tryon