Insert NT Hash password to Samba4

Pavel Herrmann morpheus.ibis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 11:31:25 MST 2012

On Thursday 19 of January 2012 13:07:15 Andrew LaPierre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running Samba4 build Alpha17.  I currently have all my users in
> Openldap, and have their passwords stored as NT Hashes and I'm trying to
> get them imported into the Samba4 LDAP.  When I connect to the Samba4 LDAP,
> I can't seem to find where the passwords are being stored for the users.  I
> need a way to insert/update the user passwords directly using the NT Hash,
> how might I go about doing that?  Thanks for any help.

Hi

as per AD security, passwords are never returned when querying LDAP, but you
could probably see them using ldbsearch

converting users from samba3/oLDAP to samba4 is possible, one (currently
deprecated) way is called myldap-pub.py and is seen in many versions on the
mailing list. this script uses a dump from samba3 LDAP to create a new LDIF,
which is then imported into samba4.

more recently, a conversion utility that uses (possibly any) samba3 password
backend was integrated into samba-tool (see thread called "upgrade reference"
in samba-technical archives for more info). that is the way you should use

Pavel Herrmann