ldb: unable to stat module ${PREFIX}/modules/ldb : No such file or directory ???

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 10:21:51 MST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher
<metze at samba.org>wrote:

> Am 18.01.2012 22:23, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> > On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 12:05 -0500, Charles Tryon wrote:
> >> Version 4.0.0alpha18-GIT-e75c436
> >>
> >> This one has me stumped....
> >>
> >> On one of my test systems, I've gotten into the situation where ALL of
> the
> >> Samba tools that I try to use (upgradeprovision, samba-tool, etc) give
> me
> >> the following error:
> >>
> >> ldb: unable to stat module ${PREFIX}/modules/ldb : No such file or
> directory
> >>
> >> The various scripts don't exactly fail outright, but nothing really
> >> works...  I can't rerun the provisioning and as a result I can't restart
> >> the server.  This seems like it must be some environment thing, but I
> don't
> >> have a clue why it would suddenly break on only one of my systems.  =8-0
> >
> > Jumping back to the head of the thread.
> >
> > Your rebuild fixed things because you reconfigured.  The ./configure
> > script should be run after every git pull.  (Most of us do not do this,
> > but if you see strange behaviour such as this, it is a good clue that it
> > has been too long).
> >
> > See also
> >
> > buildtools/bin/waf reconfigure
> >
> > For an attempt to automatically guess if it has been 'too long'.
>
> I introduced a bug, but a fix is in autobuild...

Actually, I have a script I call "re-git" which does the pull, runs
configure.developer and the make / make test, so I'm sure to do it all at
once.  It takes a lot longer to do a build, but that way I avoid problems
with the configuration getting out of whack, or installing binaries that
fail the sanity-check.

I started using "configure.developer" a long time ago because it was
recommended in the HOWTO.  Don't know if that is still necessary.

When I tried last night, I was still getting the module not found error,
but I am happy to say that running again this morning, IT WORKS.  I had to
"updateprovision" stuffs the current files off in a subdirectory, so that
was just a matter of finding the last good one and copying over the files
I'd foobared in all my flailing around...)

I'm not familiar with reconfigure tool.  Does that try to guess if you
really need to run the configure or not?

Thanks!  Good to be back on my feet again with my test systems!

--
    Charles Tryon