Great LWN Samba article !

Kristian Rasmussen kristian_rasmussen at fastmail.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 16:42:03 MST 2012

On 17.01.2012 21:22, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> This is the link that will allow non-subscribers to have a look
> (provided for situations such exactly like this):
> https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/475592/263ca50b47faccfb/

This is indeed a very informative article for anyone interested in the
development of Samba 4. The non-subscriber link is much appreciated.

It's was encouraging to read that the file server integration is
proceeding rapidly, I for one think this is very good news indeed. The
"To release Samba 4.0 as is" thread referred to in the article got quiet
very suddenly, and we probably all suspected that things were happening
behind the scenes. I must say, though, that it was quite interesting
(enlightening, even) for an outsider to follow the discussion.

The article quotes you as saying that testing is needed. As a non-coder
(for the time being, anyway), I was hoping to contribute by doing just
that, maybe even in a live environment or two, rather than just sit on
the fence and wait for you to do all the hard work.

In order to do that efficiently, it would be helpful to know the current
implementation status for various key features such as FRS, DFS-R, SMB2,
multi-domain forests, child domains, sites and probably a few more (I
believe one of the OpenChange developers once said that the RPC over
HTTP proxy is a Samba feature rather than an OpenChange one, and if so
I'd like to add that to the list).

This would make it possible to focus on features that could be expected
to work, rather than ones that have known defects or are missing
altogether. For instance, we've had a few posts in this list from people
trying to get sysvol replication to work, a feature not implemented at
the time.

Any pointers to where people like myself should start in order to make
ourselves useful?