upgrade reference

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 16 13:50:11 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:43 -0500, Charles Tryon wrote:
> When I started testing the migration script, I did the same thing --
> put the realm in the config file.  Since that time, I figured out that
> you could put the realm on the command line.
>

> One thing I haven't figured out is, can you specify the hostname of
> the server?  I changed the NETBIOS name in the Samba3 smb.conf and on
> the server itself, but somehow the script is still picking up the old
> hostname and setting up the DNS tables based on the old name.
>

> One reason I need to change the host name is that I can't do the
> switch in place (too many old dependencies on the server for us to
> upgrade it), but I can't immediately decommission the old server even
> after we shut down Samba because of all the other legacy applications
> still running there.

I will fix that up.  There is no good reason to try and preserve the
hostname, unless of course it happens to be the same.  The only trick
would be to demote any other DC accounts in the domain, so we do not
even try to mix s3 and s4 DCs.  (Unlike windows, we do not support the
technologies that allowed NT4/2000 mixes)