upgrade reference

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:43:04 MST 2012

When I started testing the migration script, I did the same thing -- put
the realm in the config file.  Since that time, I figured out that you
could put the realm on the command line.

One thing I haven't figured out is, can you specify the hostname of the
server?  I changed the NETBIOS name in the Samba3 smb.conf and on the
server itself, but somehow the script is still picking up the old hostname
and setting up the DNS tables based on the old name.

One reason I need to change the host name is that I can't do the switch in
place (too many old dependencies on the server for us to upgrade it), but I
can't immediately decommission the old server even after we shut down Samba
because of all the other legacy applications still running there.

--
    Charles Tryon