upgrade reference

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:07:30 MST 2012

Hi Aaron,

  The tool is mostly set up to do the translation in place.  That solves a
lot of problems and introduces a whole set of new problems. ;-)  It
simplifies the transition, but it makes testing without downing the
production Samba3 instance complicated.

  I'm actually testing by copying the /etc/samba directory from my
production server to the new test server, and then running server and test
clients in an isolated network (VMware).  I haven't worked all of the kinks
out of this setup yet, but I have at least reached the point where I know
an existing client will connect to the new server without corrupting the
domain user profiles.  I'm working on groups.

  I do NOT have an LDAP back end on my production environment, so
everything is in the tdb database.  I actually spent a great amount of time
trying to migrate my 3.0 service to a 3.6 environment with an LDAP backend,
but in the end, figured that I would need to get to either Samba4 or a
"real' AD server sooner or later anyway.

--
    Charles Tryon